Clerkship 6: Surgery

My surgery rotation was back in March 2017.
In short, it was a great rotation. I set it up myself, well, through my program of course. My preceptor is a vascular/general surgeon.
What did I get to do as a student and what did I learn?
I learned how to use laparoscopes, retractors, and suction. I held intestines out of the way and was allowed to close via suturing or stapling as appropriate. I observed robotic surgery. I learned in-office radiofreqency ablation (RFA) therapy for varicose veins. We rounded on pre-op and post-op patients, and also saw them in the office too.

Standing in front of set up for RFA, ultrasound machine in background. 



It was a challenging rotation, but also lots of fun.
Some of the challenges: hospital hoops and tough personalities in the OR. My surgeon was a gem, believe it or not. I made a decision early on, to kill em' with kindness. I wasn't going to let a bad attitude or two steal my joy or detract from my 4 weeks in surgery. And I contacted my clinical coordinator and the issues (hospital hoops)  were quickly resolved.

What was fun? Interacting with patients and anything hands on! I learn best hands on, and  my surgeon was not only talented, but very approachable and we had a good time! Additionally, I met some pretty cool folks in the OR that more than made up for the haters.
I won't be going into surgery but this was a good rotation. Setting up this particular rotation was one of the best things I did in PA school. I worked a lot, and my commute was 45 min or so. There was some pimping, not much, but enough that I reviewed the anatomy, physical exam findings, and surgical techniques for scheduled procedures. Now, we know some surgeries are not scheduled, but I did ok!
Last minute Walgreen run for socks!


There were tons of cholecystectomies and appendectomies as you can imagine. I had my scope skills and my running subcuticular down in no time! Speaking of that, I don't think it helps much to practice lots of suturing. I mean, it doesn't hurt if you have time, but the surgeon will teach you the techniques that he/she uses.
I have prior experience in the OR as a x-ray tech running the C-arm. I wasn't sure if that would be enough for what I was about to see. But, I was up close and personal, with long hours on my feet with a mask on, and glad I had the stomach for it. I assisted in removing tumors, placing feeding tubes, draining abscesses, placing AV fistulas, and assessing patients in the ER with huge inguinal hernias, mesenteric ischemia, and more.
This was definitely a valuable rotation and a great learning experience.
RFA machine




Set up for RFA








No comments:

Post a Comment

Graduation and PANCE

Graduation was one of the best days ever. What can I say? I gave a little speech. I walked across the stage to receive one of the most expen...