Split Preceptorship

In my PA program we spend 4 months in primary care. I had the opportunity to return to the clinic where I did my 5th Clerkship for 3 months. I also had a special opportunity to travel to rural Kingman, AZ to spend time in OB/GYN for one month.

The clinic work was similar to my 5th clerkship. I saw lots and lots of patients. I really love working in Primary Care in the community health setting. I love forming relationships with people and I want everyone (especially kiddos) to know that they matter! I never thought I would enjoy working with kids, but in this setting, I love it. I snuggle with any baby that will let me and I have really fun conversations with some pretty smart toddlers. I love adolescents too, even though sometimes they seem sullen or disinterested. Once you get them going, they can really open up quite a bit! I continued working on my procedures and physical exam skills.

Towards the end of this rotation one of the providers who had been precepting me decided to take another job and so I ended up interviewing for her job!
I did several interviews for jobs during this time. It was a little stressful, almost like having another job!

And in the midst of this phase, I was fortunate enough to be flown to Honduras for a quick trip to attend my niece/Goddaughter's baptism. During that trip I received the phone call from the clinic, offering me the job. I already had another offer to work with kids at a wonderful hospital. So I spent a lot of time mulling over the offers. When I arrived home, I spent a few days at the primary care clinic and then flew out to Vegas. My kiddos and hubby left for Florida the same day.

In Vegas, my father in law and his girlfriend picked me up and we drove 1.5 hour to Kingman, AZ where I spent the next 4 weeks. It was so much fun!!! I think I was most nervous about this rotation because I would be working with my father in law. He's so smart and has been a doctor for over 40 years and has delivered thousands of babies. I didn't want to mess anything up or embarrass him. Kingman is a small town and everyone knows him. One reason is because he's an author. He wrote and published a book, Manifest West. It's really good. A huge deal was made about it in his town.

So my father in law has a unique practice. He's family practice doctor. But he only sees OB/GYN patients now. And he can do C-sections. It is not common for family practice doctors to have privileges to perform C-sections. It is also not common for a family practice doctor to stick with the OB/GYN side later in their career, but that is what he likes. I really, really, really, REALLY hate being on call. So, the OB life would never be for me, or any other job that requires me to be on call. But, when he was called in, I went too! Before long the nurses always set up for me when they called him in. During his office hours my main job was to measure the fundal heights and to obtain the fetal heart rate using a doppler. The doppler was one of my favorite things. Observing circumcisions was probably my least favorite.

So, I was able to deliver 15 babies and assist with/observe several C-sections. Each time it is miraculous. As my preceptor's brother wrote to me: "You had the opportunity to deliver new lives to begin their
journeys." It is an experience I will never forget and definitely a highlight of PA school. And I mean how many daughter in laws spend an entire month with their father in law? I got a good glimpse of his life and had some thoughtful conversations about life too. I'm thankful that my wonderful and supportive father in law was a part of my training process. I'm thankful that I've had this entire opportunity...

Oh, and I accepted the job at the community health clinic! I am thankful they are willing to take on a new grad! On the graduation and studying for my certification exam!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Graduation and PANCE

Graduation was one of the best days ever. What can I say? I gave a little speech. I walked across the stage to receive one of the most expen...