Clerkship 4: Inpatient Medicine + My Top 10

So I will start off by saying inpatient medicine was a rotation I was looking forward to because it was on the hematology/oncology service and was very interested in working in heme/onc or primary care.

Or, I WAS... I am even less sure than I ever was about what I want to go into.

I still find rheumatology and heme/onc interesting, but now I also like infectious disease, psychiatry, dermatology, women's health, and just about every other field I encounter!

Here is what I know for sure:

1. People matter most, in this case, your work team and workplace culture! #1 PRIORITY FOR ME
   -PA friendly too
2. I like using my hands. (Love procedures-OR rotation is in March, so stay tuned!)
3. Seeing kiddos brightens my day. Peds specialty could be really cool.
4. A good schedule is important. My hubby prefers I don't have shift work right now. But, I would go for it later in life.
5. Commute to work. Location! Location! Location!
6. Scope of practice and the relationship with my SP are also super important.
7. Benefits are part of the package (CMEs, licensing fees, retirement, ect). Some loan repayment would be awesome!
8. I need to feel good about the rate of pay.
9. An environment that fosters learning is important. An on-boarding program is ideal.
10. I don't strive to be "the only one" who can do anything. Been there, done that.

So, what are your interests? If you are training or working as a healthcare provider, how did you narrow it down? I look forward to hearing your feedback!

As for my inpatient rotation, I worked at a local hospital on the inpatient service with heme/onc patients. The patients were wonderful, and also quite complex and so I learned a lot just being there.
I generally worked 3 shifts per week for 12 hours, 0745a-8p. The commute was half an hour or so for me and I spent too much money paying for tolls and for parking!

At the end of the day, as students, we pay our dues. I started my clerkships knowing every rotation wouldn't be stellar, but to always give it my best. PA students are a different breed altogether! Even in less than ideal circumstances we can find a way to make the best of it, take from it what we can, and to make an impact! And besides, any discomfort we may feel as a student in our rotations is temporary! We will move on!

I was on campus this past week. We listened to advice for life after this program ends, presented cases, and we took our 2nd ePackrat. It was nice to see my classmates and hear about their varied experiences!

Staying encouraged! The countdown continues!!!

*Disclaimer: I do not advocate the abuse of students or any member of the healthcare team. If anyone is in a situation that should be reported and addressed, I absolutely support doing so, starting with a trusted faculty advisor.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Graduation and PANCE

Graduation was one of the best days ever. What can I say? I gave a little speech. I walked across the stage to receive one of the most expen...